Universal and Electronics Wastes

Televisions Sets and computer monitors are considered “Universal Wastes” and now fall under new State Laws for recycling.  Mid Maine Waste Action will no longer accept these items for disposal with the bulky waste items; however, the Auburn Public Works Department will accept them for recycling.

To dispose of these items:  Go to the Minot Town Office to pay the $5.00 fee per television set or computer monitor (this is the fee that we will pay to Auburn ).  Bring your receipt and monitors and TV sets to the Auburn Public Works Department (Highway Garage) on Gracelawn Rd. in Auburn.  Go to the Office with your receipt and you will be directed to the area for the Universal Waste Recycling.  

Additional Resources:

Florescent Light Bulb Recycling 

  • Lowe's and Home Depot recycles them at no cost
  • Auburn Public Works recycles them at no cost 
AUBURN, ME 04210
(207) 784-6906
Bulbs must be sealed in boxes and boxes must be marked with the type of bulb and how many. .24 cents per foot for tubes or per bulb.

For fluorescent lamp recycling, under the section “How to find the nearest mercury-added light bulb recycling locations”, the Help ME Recycle and LampRecycle.org links will help to find locations to drop off light bulbs: https://www.maine.gov/dep/waste/productstewardship/recyclemercurylamps.html


Here is information about Maine’s Paint Care program, which is a program for recycling architectural paint such as interior/exterior house paint: https://www.maine.gov/dep/waste/productstewardship/paint.html


Call2Recycle is a resource for recycling batteries, for both homeowners and businesses. You can search for a location to drop off batteries (including transfer stations, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Staples, etc.), or purchase kits to ship batteries to them via mail. They also have packaging for “DDR” batteries, which are Damaged/Defective/Recalled Lithium-ion batteries: https://www.call2recycle.org/


Staples has expanded their recycling program to include many household items. You can drop them off or purchase recycling kits: https://www.staples.com/stores/recycling


The Auburn Home Depot accepts CFL bulbs, certain batteries and plastic pots for recycling: https://www.homedepot.com/l/Auburn-ME/ME/Auburn/04210/2403


The Auburn Lowe’s should have a recycling center near the entrance; check with the store to find out which types of items this location will accept: https://corporate.lowes.com/newsroom/stories/fresh-thinking/lowes-answers-your-recycling-faqs-so-you-dont-have-ask


Veolia also has a mail-back program using pre-paid kits for many types of universal waste; I believe it’s geared more toward businesses and municipalities: https://lamprecycling.veoliaes.com/home?pid=4084


In addition, there are two facilities in Maine which accept household hazardous waste from all Maine residents:

The Environmental Depot in Lewiston. The local Household Hazardous Waste collection event schedule, of which Minot is a participating member, can also be found here: https://www.avcog.org/974/Household-Hazardous-Waste


Riverside Recycling in Portland: https://riversiderecycles.com/hazardous-waste


Here are contact numbers that the public can call for questions or emergencies.

For questions or non-emergencies, residents of Androscoggin County would contact the Southern Maine Regional Office. For reporting an oil spill call the Oil Spills 800 number, and for hazardous material spills or an emergency such as a lithium-ion battery fire call the Hazardous Materials 800 number: https://www.maine.gov/dep/spills/emergspillresp/contacts.html